In our area of Florida, the cooler weather brings with it a need for change in your landscaping beds. In spring and summer, warm-season annuals are great for bringing bright, happy colors to your lawn. But as the weather cools, those annuals will need to be replaced by cool-season annuals to ensure your landscaping stays protected.
Here is a guide to some of the best annuals to plant in the fall in Lithia, Valrico, Brandon, and the surrounding areas.
Cool-Season Annuals for Florida Landscaping Beds
One perk to planting cool-season annuals is that it brings fresh, new color to your landscaping. Your warm-season annuals will have already bloomed by this point and blooms may be drying up or falling off. Our climate allows for various types of annuals to be planted in our fall or winter. Here are some of the common cool-season annuals we plant at Lithia Landscape & Design.
- Geraniums: These flowers are a classic fall annual and bring vibrant color to your lawn. It is best to plant these around October once the humidity and heat die down some. Keeping them watered regularly is key to their health and amount of blooms.
- Snapdragons: Snapdragons can be white, pink, red, orange, or yellow. The ideal time to plant these is mid-to-late October. They can reach heights of three feet and benefit from full sun exposure. Some areas of Florida may need to cover them at night if the temperature drops too low.
- Pansies: These cold-tolerant flowers can be red, white, purple, yellow, or apricot. A great feature of pansies is that they are compact and can survive well in containers or window boxes. They do need a lot of sun and soil that drains well.
- Petunias: Petunias are easy to grow in Florida. The plant varies greatly in size depending on which type you choose. Some may be as large as 4 feet wide. They also vary widely in color choices. Plant these flowers in October or November in an area where they will receive full sun and moist soil.
- Sunpatiens: These brightly-colored flowers will do well in sun or partial shade. They come in many different colors and can be planted in baskets, boxes, or in your landscape beds.
- Kalanchoes: Kalanchoes are a succulent that bloom in pink, yellow, red, or a salmon color. They have several branches and do well in dry soil, meaning they are great for the time of year when we don’t receive as much rain in areas such as Lithia or Valrico, FL. They require full sun.
- Calendula: If you’re looking for traditional fall colors such as yellow or orange, then calendula plants are a great choice. It works well as a ground cover and attracts butterflies to your yard.
At Lithia Landscape & Design, when we plant annual flowers, we make sure to use a controlled fertilizer product called Osmocote that provides key nutrients.
Why You Should Have a Professional Install Annual Flowers
When annual flowers are planted and installed, there are many factors to consider, such as how much sun they need, how far to space them apart, the amount of water they will need, and more. A professional landscaper will know exactly where to install the cool-season annuals you’ve chosen for your property.
Do you need fall annual flowers planted at your residential property?
At Lithia Landscape & Design, we plant fall annual flowers for residential properties throughout the areas of Lithia, Valrico, Brandon, and surrounding cities. Our owner has a lot of experience with plants and will bring that expertise to your property.
Contact us today at (813) 927-0429 to set up an initial estimate on our annual flower planting services.